QING TIAN HOSTEL

QING TIAN HOSTEL | 2024
Client: Mr. Jin
Design: 282 Studio
Location: China Town, Singapore
The history of the development of Pagoda Street is famous for its opium dens in the early 19th century. It was also a stopover for the trafficking of indentured laborers who lacked social status. This street was formerly known as Kwong Hup Yuen Kai (meaning "Kwong Hup Yuen Street" in Cantonese), named after Kwong Hup Yuen, a prominent labor trading company situated there. Evolving from a transient laborer station from the 1850s to 1880s, Temple Street became a lodging house for laborers by the early 20th century.
With Singapore's urbanization in the mid-20th century, the street underwent self-renewal and transformed into a commercial and retail area, alongside industries such as textile and traditional Chinese medicine shops.
The architectural style of the commercial shophouses on Pagoda Street and neighboring areas of Chinatown originates from Raffles Town Planning of 1822, which specified building materials and required 5-foot wide covered walkways (thus known as "5-foot ways").
This street is part of the Chinatown Historic District, designated for conservation efforts since the late 1980s.
-
Lịch sử phát triển của phố Chùa nổi tiếng với những ổ hút thuốc phiện vào đầu thế kỷ 19, Đây cũng là một trong những trạm dừng của việc buôn bán những người lao động tay chân không có địa vị trong xã hội. Con phố này từng được gọi là Kwong Hup Yuen Kai (có nghĩa là “phố Kwong Hup Yuen” trong tiếng Quảng Đông), vì Kwong Hup Yuen, một công ty buôn bán người lao động chân tay nổi tiếng, tọa lạc ở đó. Từ một trạm cu li từ những năm 1850 đến 1880, Phố Chùa đã phát triển thành một nhà nghỉ cho những người lao động vào đầu thế kỷ 20.
Với quá trình đô thị hóa của Singapore vào giữa thế kỷ 20, con phố này đã tự tái tạo và chuyển mình thành một khu vực dành cho thương mại và dịch vụ bán lẻ cũng như dệt may và một số cửa hàng kinh doanh thuốc Bắc. Kiến trúc của các căn nhà phố thương mại trên Phố Chùa và các khu vực khác lân cận của Khu Phố Tàu bắt nguồn từ Quy hoạch Thị trấn Raffles năm 1822 , trong đó quy định vật liệu nên được sử dụng để xây dựng các căn nhà phố thương mại cũng như nhu cầu phải có lối đi có mái che rộng 5 foot (do đó được gọi là "đường dài 5 foot ").
Con phố này là một phần của Khu Lịch sử Phố Tàu, đã được công bố để bảo tồn vào cuối những năm 1980.










